Recipe: Stuffed Zucchini with walnuts and feta

A while back I mentioned that I made stuffed zucchini for dinner and few people have asked for the recipe. I've been meaning to post/share this recipe for a while now but never got round actually posting it...until now :)  I'm not a big zucchini fan but this just sounded so good that I had to give it a try. I'm glad I did because I LOVE it!



So here it goes:

Ingredients:

  • 4 fat, medium zucchini
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped finely
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
  • 2 oz/55grams / 1/3 cup fete cheese, crumbled
  • 1 oz/25 grams /1/4 cup walnut pieces, chopped
  • 2 oz/55grams white bread crumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tbs chopped fresh dill  (dill is optional, I  don't really use it as I don't like it much)
  • salt and paper 
Method: 
  1. Put the zucchini in a pan of boiling water, return to a boil, and then boil for 3-4min. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.  Let cool.
  2. When zucchini are cool enough to handle, cut a thin strip off the top side of each one with a sharp knife. Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the flesh, leaving a shell to hold the stuffing. Chop the zucchini flesh. 
  3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 5min. until softened. Add the zucchini flesh and fry for 5 minutes, until the onion is golden brown. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the cheese then the walnuts, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper (and dill if you like it) :)
  4. Use the stuffing to fill the zucchini shells, and place side by side in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle over the remaining oil.
  5. Over the dish with the foil and bake in a preheated oven, 375F/190C, for 30 minutes. 
  6. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot! 
Enjoy! 

Let me know if you end up giving this a try and how you like it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment